During 2011, a group of concerned governors worked together to create the BGA. We recognise that the role of local authorities in education, especially their ability to support governors, is declining. At the same time, the challenges facing governors are ever increasing. We have therefore created the BGA as an independent, democratic, non-political association of school governing bodies in the Barnsley MBC area, seeking to support, promote and improve school governance. We are committed to raising attainment, achievement and aspiration for all school students in Barnsley.
Our Aims are to:
- Encourage co-operation between governing bodies
- Encourage and facilitate the sharing of good practice and exchange of experience
- Regularly inform and consult members on issues affecting school governance
- Maintain a strong working relationship with the Barnsley Local Authority and other relevant stakeholders and be the means for the local authority to consult governors
- Express the collective views of members locally and nationally
- Identify the training and development needs of governors and work with others to ensure that high quality training is available to meet the needs of members
- Maintain membership of, or contact with, appropriate bodies concerned with school governance.
- Maximise the provision of procurement of services for Governing Bodies by sharing their experiences.
BGA Executive is where you can find details of the BGA Executive members
You will find the BGA Constitution on this link
Details on BGA Membership can be found here
AGM is where you can find details of the BGA’s AGM’s
In About Governors you will find information about becoming a school governor
Governor Vacancies can be found here